Sunday, October 14, 2007

Mariya's BOB1

What was the hardest thing about this unit?
The hardest thing in this unit was when we were working on the subs. I thought that was hard because I didn't know how to solve the problem and I didn't know if me and my partner did it right.

What do you understand now that you did not understand before?
Before, I didn't understand how to add fractions. I didn't know how to do it right until Mr. Harbeck showed us the clock method. I think the clock method is really easy to use when you're stuck with adding frations.

If you had to teach your parents something about fractions what would it be and how would you do it?
I would teach my parents how to tell if the fration is larger than the other fraction. I would show them how to use the clock. For example, I would show them which is larger - 1/2 + 2/3 ? 1/4 + 2/6
half of 60 is 30 and a third of 60 is 20. multiply 20 by 2 to get 40. now add 30 and 40 together to get 70.
one fourth of 60 is 15 and a sixth of 60 is 10. multiply 10 by 2 to get 20. now add 20 and 15 together to get 35.
now you can tell which is larger. 70 > 35 so, 1/2 + 2/3 > 1/4 + 2/6

No comments: