Tuesday, November 20, 2007
Allison's Scribe Post
1) How many gallons of gas and what fraction of a full tank of gas did Maria use on the turnpike driving from her house to Lance's house?
- First we subtracted 352 and 242, the answer is 110. 110 is how many miles are from Maria's to Lance's house.
- The 352= Turnpike in Philadelphia at mile marker
- The 242= Turnpike near Lance's house on the mile marker.
- We then divided 110 and 33, the answer is 3.3
- The 33= Miles per gallon.
- 3.3/15 divided 3.3/3.3, the answer is 4.5454 so, the answer rounded is approximately 1/5.
- The final answer is approximately 1/5.
2) What fraction of a full tank of gas did she use on the turnpike driving to the combined distance from her house to Lance's house to Alicia's house?
- First we subtracted 352 and 55, the answer is 297.
- The 352= The trnpike in Philadelphia at mile marker.
- The 55= The turnpike near Alicia's house on the mile marker.
- We then divided 297 and 33, the answer is 9.
- 9/15, we divided both by 3, the answer is 3/5.
- The 15= The gallon gas tank.
- The final answer is 3/5.
3)How much time will she spend driving on the turnpike when she drives back home to Philadelphia?
- 1 hour and 40 minutes= 110 miles.
- First we doubled the 1 hour and 40 minutes, the answer is 2.80.
- The 2.80= 3.20
- Then we added 180 minutes and 20 minutes, the answer is 200 minutes.
- The 180 minutes= 3 hours
- We added 200 minutes and 70 minutes, the answer is 270 minutes.
- The 70 minutes= 1 hour and 10 minutes.
- We divided 270 minutes and 60 minutes, the answer is 4.5.
- The final answer is 4 hours and 50 minutes