Today we were told to anwer 5 questions from the paper that was givento us and we need to answer it into 2 different ways. In this scribe post 2 examples of the word problems are disscussed.
Q1:Andrea cur 62 1/2 inches of ribbon into 4 equal hair ribbons. How long was each hair ribbon?
Answer: Each ribbon would be 15 5/8 inches long.
1. change mixed fraction to improper fraction
2. get the reciprocal of the divisor which is 4 becomes to 1/4
3. do multiplication
4. simplfy your answer
1. change mixed faction to improper fraction before doing the ratio table.
2. on the right side divide 4 by 4 or multiply by 1/4 to get 1 as your answer.
3. on the left side do the same thing and simplfy your answer.
Q2:Dawn has 12 yards of silk. She needs 1 1/4 yards of silk to make one skirt. How many skirts can she make?
Answer: She can make 9 3/5 of skirts.
1. change mixed fraction to improper fraction.
2. then get the reciprocal of the divisor which is 5/4 becomes 4/5.
3. multiply the fractions.
4. simplfy your answer.
1. change the mixed fraction to improper fraction before doing the ratio table.
2. on the right side multiply 5/4 by 4 which gives you 20/4
3. then divide it by its denominator which is 5 and gives you the answer of 1.
4. do the same thing on the left side and simplfy your answer.